Nebulizers and compressors
You need a nebulizer and a compressor to take Pulmozyme. However, not all nebulizers and compressors are the same. Your doctor or healthcare team can help you make the selection that best fits your needs. Here are some things you may want to talk about:
- Is it FDA approved? Did you know that the FDA approves the use of certain nebulizers and compressors for certain medicines? See a list of FDA-approved nebulizers and compressors below.
- What is your lifestyle like? This is an investment in your health, so you will want it to fit into your life. Consider what conveniences you need. For example, nebulizers/compressors may have different delivery times and cleaning instructions.
- How much will it cost? Costs and insurance coverage can vary. If you need help to better understand your insurance coverage, Pulmozyme Access Solutions® may be able to help.
- Will a child use it? Certain nebulizers are designed especially for younger children and have features such as a mask instead of a mouthpiece.
Compare FDA-approved nebulizers/compressors.
The following chart lists all the nebulizer and compressor combinations that are approved for use with Pulmozyme.
|Durable Sidestream®* with||MOBILAIRE™†|
|Durable Sidestream®* with||Porta-Neb®|
|Hudson "T" Up-draft II® with||Pulmo-Aide®|
|Marquest Acorn II® with||Pulmo-Aide®|
|PARI LC® PLUS Reusable* with||PARI PRONEB®|
|PARI BABY™* with||PARI PRONEB®|
†Invacare Corporation. Used with permission.
Please contact your doctor and/or CF Care Team for more information about nebulizers and compressors, and for guidance in choosing products that are right for you.
There may be additional combinations of nebulizers and compressors that are NOT approved by the FDA for use with Pulmozyme, including:
- Altera® Nebulizer System (used exclusively with Cayston® [aztreonam])
- PARI LC® PLUS Reusable Nebulizer in combination with DeVilbiss® Pulmo-Aide® Air Compressor (used with TOBI® [tobramycin])
- Any nebulizer/compressor combination used with hypertonic saline that is not FDA-approved for Pulmozyme (eg, PRONEB Turbo in combination with LC PLUS Nebulizer)
Pulmozyme should not be diluted or mixed with other drugs in the nebulizer.
Using your nebulizer and compressor
Always follow the instructions provided by your CF healthcare team for taking Pulmozyme, and be sure that you use the full dose.
Consult your CF healthcare team for their recommendation of nebulizer and compressor and instructions for their use or if you have any other questions about Pulmozyme or these delivery systems. Follow the manufacturer's recommendations for care and use of your nebulizer and compressor.